Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What No One Else Knows


God knows what no one else knows. He knows every secret thought I keep locked up in my soul's safety deposit box.

Thoughts I keep to myself. Thoughts I don't tell my best friend. Thoughts that haunt me. Thoughts that encourage me. Thoughts I despise. Thoughts I enjoy. Thoughts I accept or deny. Thoughts of defeat and success. Dark thoughts. Light thoughts. Good thoughts. Bad thoughts.

Whatever else these thoughts are, they are my thoughts.

No one knows my secret thoughts. No one except God -- "He knows the secrets of the heart" (Psalm 44:21). How? God knows everything about everything. Is there anything that God does not know? Nothing exists outside His knowledge, understanding, or intelligence. No thought hides from God.

Psalm 139 expands this truth: "I'm an open book to You, even from a distance, You know what I'm thinking ... You know everything I'm going to say before I start the first sentence."

Can I keep my thoughts secret from other people? Yes. Can I keep even one thought secret from God? No. God's Spirit fills all time and space -- I'm never out of His earshot or out of His sight.

What do I do with my secret thoughts? I follow David's lead: "Search me, O God, and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way of everlasting" (Psalm 139:23-24).

My secrets are no secret to Him. Yet Papa-God loves me enough to invite me to open-up and come clean. Do I trust Him enough to tell everything to Him? He loves me enough to listen, understand, correct, forgive, and secure me in my journey toward eternity with Him.

God knows what no one else knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment