Sunday, August 16, 2009

Suffering


"Even though Jesus was the Son of God, he learned obedience by what he suffered" (Hebrews 5:8). Not one of my favorite verses. Why? Because it seems to imply that if Jesus learned to obey God through suffering, then I have to learn to obey God the same way. I don't want to suffer. I don't like pain. There's got to be another way.

What kind of suffering produces obedience? Jesus wasn't sick. He enjoyed good health. So he didn't suffer from migraines, arthritis, cancer, heart disease, kidney disease or a multitude of other physical ailments that cause pain. He wasn't mentally ill. So Jesus didn't suffer the emotional pain of schizophrenia, manic depression, paranoia, or a thousand other psychoses.

Therefore, it's fair to conclude that the suffering that produces obedience isn't the general physical and/or emotional sufferings of humankind. Then how did Jesus suffer? He was misunderstood, rejected, mocked, ridiculed, ignored, slandered, cast aside by society. Ultimately, Jesus was tortured then murdered by crucifixion. He suffered for righteousness sake, for the sake of the Papa's kingdom, and in obedience to Papa's will. As a lamb led to the slaughter, so Jesus suffered these indignities and death itself willingly, without resistance.

This is the suffering that produces obedience. Think of it this way. When I'm sick I go see my doctor. He examines me, makes a diagnosis, prescribes medicine, treatment, or a procedure of some sort. I follow his instructions and I'm healthy again. This course of action is generally accepted in our country. There is no reproach attached to seeking medical advice when one is sick.

However, when I follow the Great Physician, Jesus Christ, I attach myself to one who was "despised, rejected" by humankind. My relationship with him makes me an object of suspicion, rejection, even persecution. He warned us: "I've told you these things to prepare you for rough times ahead. They are going to throw you out of the meeting places. There will even come a time when anyone who kills you will think he's doing God a favor. They will do these things because they never really understood he Father. I've told you these things so that when the time comes and they start in on you, you'll be well warned and ready for them" (John 16:1-3).

It is to this suffering the writer of Hebrews speaks. It is this kind of suffering that produces obedience to God. Will I remain obedient when pressured to defect? When persecution comes when I obey God or man?

To willingly suffer on account of the Word and for the sake of righteousness is how Jesus suffered. This is the suffering that teaches obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment