Friday, September 18, 2009

Guilt


Have you ever said, "I went ______ (to church, to visit someone, to a civic club meeting ... you fill in the blank) because I felt guilty?"

Is guilt a good thing?

Not necessarily.

There are two type of guilt: healthy guilt and unhealthy guilt. Healthy guilt comes from an objective reality -- I lied or cheated. I was envious, greedy, selfish, mean-spirited. Healthy guilt comes from the sin or sins I've committed.

Unhealthy guilt comes from feelings of "ought's," or "have-to's." Feelings of inadequacy, rejections, pain, insecurity, and fear -- feeling like a failure. Destructive guilt rides in on the tide of our low opinion of ourselves.

Unhealthy guilt entices us to make wrong choices. We do what we don't want to do. We fake our way through life and relationships. We say things we don't mean to people who don't want to hear them.

On the other hand, healthy guilt leads us to Jesus. It leads us to forgiveness, love, acceptance, and freedom. "Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death" (2 Corinthians 7:10).

Unhealthy guilt ("worldly sorrow") turns me in on myself. I'm no good. What will people think about me? I'm a failure. I'll never change. Healthy guilt ("godly sorrow") focuses on Papa-God: Father, I've offended you. I own my sin. thank you for your mercy, grace, and forgiveness. Thank you for accepting me and restoring me to wholeness. Thank you for your patience. Please continue to form me into the image of your son, Jesus. In His name. Amen.

Healthy guilt releases me to confess my sin to God, claim his gracious forgiveness, and then move on to serve him, worship him, and enjoy his presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment