Thursday, March 19, 2009

Still Waters

"Is there is a quiet stream underneath the fluctuating affirmation and rejections of my little world? Is there a still point where my life is anchored and from which I can reach out with hope and courage and confidence?" -- Henri J.M. Nouwen

Sometimes I lose a sense of rhythm. In those times my life resembles twigs spinning in endless circles by fierce tornado winds. One twig doesn't connect to the other. There is no symmetry, no center, no form. just chaotic movement spinning out of control.

Without a center point life unravels. Without a center point fear and despair creep under the doorway of my soul suffocating it with a dark, damp cloud. What can I do?

My memory is jolted by a shepherd's words. The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He make me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul (Ps. 23:1,2).

Someone outside myself pulls me out of the whirlwind and centers me in his peace. The twigs come together. Life renewed. Soul refreshed. Mind quiet. Eyes see the Shepherd. Ears hear the Shepherd's voice.

Yes, there is a quiet stream underneath the fluctuating affirmation and rejections of my little world.

1 comment:

  1. When we allow ourself to be centered and the twigs come together, there is a sence of Presence and you then have the strength to go forward to face the next set of spinning twigs with a calmness that comes from being centered.
    Because there will be more spinning twigs that will also come together, as long as we choose to keep our focus on the Shepherd's face and hear His voice. I feel the key is do we choose to wallow in the spinning twigs or do we choose to focus on the Shepherd.

    ReplyDelete